Every room in your home is unique in the way that they contain very specific belongings. For example the bedroom generally holds your clothing and shoes as well as your relaxation and sleeping area. The Kitchen has food storage, utensils and cooking and cleaning areas and appliances. The Garage contains things like sporting gear, tools and perhaps laundry. I think you get the idea.
When you are working to organizing your space it makes it easier to first identify the different activities that take place in each room. This will help you be clear about where your things belong and where they should return should they manage to move out of their area.
Here is a list of the ZONES for each room in your home to help you get started. You can make your own based on what your specific needs are.
Clean up, Cooking/Baking, Craft Center, Eating, Food Prep, Storage
Collectibles, Games, Hobbies, Media Center, Photos, Reading, Relaxation, Storage
Collectibles, China, Eating, Linens, Storage, Table Dressings
Bill Payment, Mail In, File Storage, Computer Work, Supplies
Clothes, Reading, Relaxation, Seasonal Clothes, Shoes, Sleeping
Decoration Storage, Gardening Supply, Laundry, Maintenance Supplies, Sporting Goods, Tools , Workbench
5 Tips to make your spaces easy to maintain:
1. Make sure areas are definable and keep areas clear of items that don't belong.
2. Use labels for storage areas so that everyone will know where items belong.
3. Consider different colored bins for the personal items for each family member.
4. Put bins in each room for items that belong somewhere else. Empty them often.
5. Regularly rotate seasonal items into storage. Mark reminders in your calendar.