Professional Organizing Tips and Resources.
7 Steps to a Functioning Closet
1. Consider visibility, accessibility ad flexibility when planning your closet design.
2. Measure carefully the height, depth, width, and also for the entrance to the closet too.
3. Inventory what you have and what you need more of. Hanging space, shelves, shoe racks, etc.
4. Remove the things you can do without and put seasonal clothes away, preferably in close and accessible storage.
5. Shop for what you need. Talk with a closet designer to get ideas and determine costs for special installations.
6. Put it back together, containerize and label any baskets or show boxes properly.
7. Respect it, maintain it and love it.
4 More for the Kitchen Drawers
1. Designate just one drawer to be a "Junk Drawer." For items like batteries, flashlights, tape measure, paper pad and a pen for example.
2. Sort and Purge the contents once every 6months to a year. Try to keep it for truly important things, not just a free-for-all junk collection as the name would suggest.
3. Use drawer organizers to separate and store "like" items.
4. Keep your flatware near the sink or dishwasher and your cooking utensils near the stove.
Need help organizing? Michelle serves the Carleton Place, Lanark County and Ottawa areas.