Professional Organizing Tips and Resources.
1. Set time to work and avoid distractions. If you work from home set office hours and talk to any family about respecting this time. Allowing oneself to get distracted by household chores or passing conversations can really take a bite at productivity.
2. Prioritize your tasks and make a 'To Do" list everyday. Break your tasks down based on their Value and Deadline so you can easier gage what your top priorities are. As well as having this To-Do list, take time to schedule your tasks into the calendar or planner. Getting real about time and when you will do it makes it more likely that you will get it done on time.
3. Plan your week on Sunday. When making your plan for the week, try to group 'like' tasks together. If you have errands and tasks that can be grouped together you can save a lot of time. Take up to a 1/2 hour on Sunday to review on paper what your obligations are for the week ahead, this is one of the best organizing strategies.
4. Create filing systems (Paper and Electronic) that suit your needs. Everyone is a little different in they way the process information. When it comes to file systems, although for the most part they can be similar, there are lots of variations in setting them up. There are even choices to be made when it comes to what you keep as 'paper' and what you keep 'electronically.' Regardless of the system you use, it must be easy to maintain and allow you to find what you need quickly.
5. Dedicate space for your business. If you have an actual office, a converted closet, a spare bedroom or an office nook in the kitchen, the space needs to be dedicated to business. A place where you can work on your tasks and have what you need close at hand, avoiding distractions.
6. Become a student of Organization. If you don't already have a file or a 'favorites' folder on organizing, maybe now is a good time to start one. Read articles and books on time management and organization. Attend seminars, telecasts and try to get your hands on as much good material on this subject as you can. To ingrain the material into your subconscious you should go over the materials 6-8 times.
Too busy or overwhelmed to get started?
Live in Lanark County or Ottawa area?
Call me and we can work together hands on getting you going in the right direction. 613-452-2233
Need help organizing? Michelle serves the Carleton Place, Lanark County and Ottawa areas.